Some people want a cute puppy at home, but there are people who prefer to keep a more fearsome pet, like a German shepherd. German shepherd rescue Colorado can provide you with a trained dog if you need one. German shepherd, originally bred in northern Europe for protecting flocks of sheep, is still considered a versatile pet that you can use for various purposes. They are great for working in a farm, to guard your property, to assist you if you are a police officer, or even to guide the blind. Hell, German shepherd dogs are dispatched in all wars the US participates in. Despite its rugged and fearsome look, a German shepherd can be docile and amiable enough to be kept as a lovable pet at home.
How Do You Identify a German Shepherd Dog?
A German shepherd is characterized by a number of physical traits. They have large body that measures between 24 and 26 inches when standing and their large and muscular body signify prowess and ruggedness. Their legs are short and compact with dark nails and hard pads and their tail is bushy. The most distinctive physical features of a German shepherd are those on their head. Their head is long, their muzzle is wedge-shaped, their ears are medium-sized and set high, and their eyes are dark brown. When you stroke their coat, you will see that there are two layers of coat. The outer coat is straight and hard and the inner coat is rather woolly and soft. A German shepherd is usually seen with their distinctive brown color, but a dog of this breed can actually have other variants of color, including black, grey, tan, and brindled.
Why Should You Get a German Shepherd?
German shepherd is a versatile breed. You have read above that there are many ways you can benefit from this canine. German shepherd is known for their loyalty. Once they are emotionally attached to you, they will neither abandon you nor disobey you. This is why blind people prefer to choose a dog of this breed as their guide.
German shepherd dog is also a sporting dog. You can let them participate in most sporting events dedicated for dogs. They can collect rewards and gain fame through this way. Sports is also a great means to test their loyalty and ability as well as to improve their loyalty. German shepherd dog is also a show dog that is admired for their beauty and ruggedness at the same time.
Why Should You Get a German Shepherd from an Animal Rescue?
There are many ways you can get a German shepherd dog, but here we will show you the reasons why getting a German shepherd dog from an animal rescue is a good idea. You can grow a German shepherd from a puppy that you buy from a breeder or a pet shop or get an adult German shepherd from an animal rescue. Here are some reasons why getting a dog from an animal rescue in Colorado is a good idea.
- An animal rescue devotes itself to rescuing stray and abandoned dogs and preventing them from being harmed and causing harm. By participating in its foster program, you can help the organization in fulfilling its goals and help rescue the beloved canine from despair.
- By getting an adult dog, you can immediately train them without getting through the hassles and expenses of growing a puppy.
- A German shepherd rescue is ready to provide you with assistance in training your dog and making it closer to you.
- You don’t actually buy the dog, because the rescue organization will lend the dog for you to foster until they are ready for adoption. What if you love the dog and want to adopt them. Unfortunately, fostering is not a chance for you to try out the dog before adopting it. When the dog is ready for adoption, the animal rescue will check with all people who have submitted application for adoption. Nonetheless, if the dog is happy to live with you and your family, an arrangement can always be made to determine whether the dog will be eligible to be a part of your family. If your primary goal is to adopt a German shepherd dog, it is advisable that you apply for adoption from the first place. Read below.
- If you want to adopt the dog that you foster, there is a foster-to-adopt application that you can submit. This application allows you to foster the dog that you will later adopt. The organization will tell you about all problems associated with the dog and ask you whether you are ready to help them with those problems. If you agree, you will start to foster the dog and eventually to adopt them when you and the dog truly make a good team.
- Application is easy. The organization will prefer that you have experience with a German shepherd dog; however, this is not a requirement and if you don’t have experience with a German shepherd dog, the organization is always happy to assist you.
- Requirements are also easy. As long as you are adult enough to keep a dog (usually, you must be at least 25 years old), have a home suitable for fostering a German shepherd dog (fenced, etc.), and have completed the application procedure, you can keep the dog at your home.
There are so many challenges and adventures that you can enjoy if you foster a German shepherd dog. If you are a German shepherd lover, you will find those challenges and adventures the most exciting moments you and the dog can have in your and their life.
If you are ready to foster or to foster-to-adopt a German shepherd dog now, you can contact a German shepherd rescue in Colorado and proceed with the application process. German shepherd rescue Colorado will help you get through the process and answer all questions that you may need to ask in order to get a clearer clue of how the fostering and adoption procedures work.